Chinese Plum Yew, Chinese Cowtail Pine, San Jian Shan Cephalotaxus fortunei
Detailed Listing For
Chinese Plum Yew, Chinese Cowtail Pine, San Jian Shan
Minimum Hardiness Zone:
Searching for additional crop sources.
Seed is Out of Stock: Fill in the quantity you Need:
Choose the "Check Out "Button and enter your contact information:
Sheffield's will email when it arrives: no payment at this time. Thank you
Please select the quantity desired, and we will advise availability and price as soon as possible.
Growing Info, follow in order:
Soak in hot tap water, let stand in water for 24 hours.
cold stratify for 90 days.
sow 1-2" deep, tamp the soil, mulch the seed bed.
fall sowing in mulched beds is prefered to artificial stratification.
Seeds could take extended time to germinate, up to 18 months.
In a Nutshell:
* C. fortunei is a shrub or small tree growing to as high as 20 m with a diameter at breast height of about 20 cm. They are usually multi-stemmed with an open and loosely rounded crown.
* In cultivation they tend to grow on a single stem that is often leaning and bare towards the bottom, but with dense foliage on the upper half.
* Substances from the plant have shown anticancer activity. more...
* Bark dark red-brown, peeling in strips. more...
* Cephalotaxus fortunei, commonly called the Chinese Plum Yew, simply Plum Yew, Chinese Cowtail Pine or in Chinese as San Jian Shan (Chinese: ???; pinyin: s?nji?nsh?n), is a coniferous shrub or small tree in the plum yew family. It is native to northern Burma and China, but is sometimes grown in western gardens where it has been in cultivation since 1848. more...