English Upright Oak, Upright English Oak Quercus robur Fastigiata
Detailed Listing For
Quercus robur Fastigiata
English Upright Oak, Upright English Oak
Average Viable Seeds/Packet:
Germination Test Type:
Minimum Hardiness Zone:
Recalcitrant seeds need refrigeration. Since shipping times are out of our control, we are not liable for seed condition upon arrival.
In Stock: 145.79 lb
Quercus robur 'Fastigiata'
Items are priced on a curve, you can buy any 'bulk quantity' up to what we have in stock, some examples are:
| || |
Growing Info, follow in order:
Scarification: Soak in water, let stand in water for 24 hours.
Stratification: cold stratify for 60 days , or until radicle emergence.
Germination: sow 1-2" deep, tamp the soil, mulch the seed bed.
Other: fall sowing in mulched beds is prefered to artificial stratification.
In a Nutshell:
* Q. robur is a large deciduous tree 25–35 m tall (exceptionally to 50 m), with lobed and nearly sessile (very short-stalked) leaves 7–14 cm long.
* Quercus robur is cultivated as an ornamental tree in the temperate regions of most continents.
* Quercus robur is planted for forestry, and produces a long-lasting and durable heartwood, much in demand for interior and furniture work.
* A specimen of notable longevity is one in Stelmuž , Lithuania which is believed to be approximately 1,500 years old, possibly making it the oldest oak in Europe.
* Q.robur supports the highest biodiversity of insect herbivores of any British plant (>400 spp). The acorns form a valuable food resource for several small mammals and some birds, notably Eurasian Jays Garrulus glandarius. more...
Trees from this seed will come very true to the parent, which is a columnar grower.
The majority of the seedlings will be upright growing with narrow spread. The ones that are not can be rouged out at an early age.