Blackjack Oak Quercus marilandica
Detailed Listing For
Minimum Hardiness Zone:
Seed is Out of Stock: Fill in the quantity you Need:
Choose the "Check Out "Button and enter your contact information:
Sheffield's will email when it arrives: no payment at this time. Thank you
Please select the quantity desired, and we will advise availability and price as soon as possible.
Soak in water, let stand in water for 24 hours.
cold stratify for 60 days , or until radicle emergence.
sow 1" deep, tamp the soil, mulch the seed bed.
fall sowing in mulched beds is prefered to artificial stratification.
In a Nutshell:
* Quercus marilandica ( Blackjack oak ) is a small oak , one of the red oak group Quercus sect. Lobatae , but fairly isolated from the others. It is native to the southern and central United States , with populations following the eastern seaboard north to Long Island .
* It often appears in a scruffy, irregular form in poor, dry sites.
* Acorns are a source of food for wildlife. more...
* The Blackjack oak grows in poor, thin, dry, rocky or sandy soils where few other woody plants can thrive, usually on low ground, from sea level up to 900 m altitude.
* The wood is very dense and produces a hot flame when burned, which functions as an excellent source of heat for barbecues and wood-burning stoves. more...