Bearberry, Kinnikinick Arctostaphylos uva-ursi
Detailed Listing For
Minimum Hardiness Zone:
Seed is Out of Stock: Fill in the quantity you Need:
Choose the "Check Out "Button and enter your contact information:
Sheffield's will email when it arrives: no payment at this time. Thank you
Please select the quantity desired, and we will advise availability and price as soon as possible.
| || |
Growing Info, follow in order:
Scarification: Soak in sulfuric or nitric acid for 2-4 hours and wash under cold water for 10-15 minutes.
Stratification: warm stratify for 120 days, cold stratify for 90 days.
Germination: sow seed 1/8" deep, tamp the soil, mulch the seed bed.
Other: acid treatment should be tested on a small sample, before subjecting the entire seed lot.
In a Nutshell:
* This extremely winter hardy, prostrate, slow-growing, evergreen shrub or ground cover will typically grow to 6-12" high and 3-6' wide.
* The fruits are readily eaten by birds, but are not recommended for human consumption. more...
* A good ground-cover for steep sandy banks in a sunny position or in light shade. A carpeting plant, growing fairly fast and carpeting as it spreads. It is valuable for checking soil erosion on watersheds.
* The dried leaves have been used for smoking as an alternative to tobacco. One report says that it is unclear whether this was for medicinal purposes or for the intoxicated state it could produce. more...
* Arctostaphylos uva-ursi is a small procumbent woody groundcover shrub 5–30 cm high. The leaves are evergreen, remaining green for 1–3 years before falling. The fruit is a red berry. more...