English Hawthorn, Smooth Hawthorn, Midland Hawthorn, Woodland Hawthorn, Mayflower Crataegus laevigata - Mespilus laevigata
Detailed Listing For
English Hawthorn, Smooth Hawthorn, Midland Hawthorn, Woodland Hawthorn, Mayflower
Average Viable Seeds/Packet:
Germination Test Type:
Minimum Hardiness Zone:
In Stock: 9.08 lb
Items are priced on a curve, you can buy any 'bulk quantity' up to what we have in stock, some examples are:
Growing Info, follow in order:
Soak in sulfuric or nitric acid for 1-2 hours and wash under cold water for 10-15 minutes., rinse 3 times.
cold stratify for 120 days.
Sow seed 1/4 inch deep, tamp the soil, mulch the seed bed.
In a Nutshell:
* A small, shrubby, rounded tree thorns; dark green leaves; white flowers with red anthers; scarlet fruit to 1/2". more...
* Hawthorn is an extremely valuable medicinal herb. It is used mainly for treating disorders of the heart and circulation system, especially angina.
* Western herbalists consider it a 'food for the heart', it increases the blood flow to the heart muscles and restores normal heart beat. This effect is brought about by the presence of bioflavonoids in the fruit, these bioflavonoids are also strongly antioxidant, helping to prevent or reduce degeneration of the blood vessels.
* In the past, midland hawthorn was widely but incorrectly known by the name C. oxyacantha, a name that has now been rejected as being of uncertain application. more...
* The fruit can be used for jams and preserves. more...