European Fan Palm Chamaerops humilis - Phoenix humilis
Detailed Listing For
European Fan Palm
Average Viable Seeds/Packet:
Germination Test Type:
Minimum Hardiness Zone:
In Stock: 4.34 lb
Sample Bulk Pricing
Soak in hot tap water, let stand in water for 24 hours, repeat process on seed that did not imbibe.
warm stratify for 120 days.
sow seed 3/8" deep, tamp the soil, mulch the seed bed.
Germination tends to be slow, Germinates faster in warmer temperatures.
In a Nutshell:
* It is a shrub -like clumping palm, with several stems growing from a single base. The stems grow slowly and often tightly together, eventually reaching 2-5 m tall with a trunk diameter of 20-25 cm.
* It is a fan palm (Arecaceae tribe Corypheae), with the leaves with a long petiole terminating in a rounded fan of 10-20 leaflets; each leaf is up to 1-1.5 m long, with the leaflets 50-80 cm long. It also has numerous sharp needle-like spines produced on the leaf stems; these protect the stem growing point from browsing animals. more...
* A strong fibre obtained from the leaves is used for cordage and brushes. The whole leaf can be used in weaving. Plants have been used to form hedges in Mediterranean areas.
* Easily grown in a rich strong loam enriched with leafmold and sand. Plants grow in poor dry soils in the wild. Requires very good drainage with abundant moisture in the summer and a sunny position.
* Very young leaf buds are cooked as a vegetable. The young shoots or suckers from the bottom of the plant are also used. more...