Basket-flower, American Star-thistle, Basket Flower, American Starthistle, American Basketflower, Sweet Sultan, Shaving Brush Centaurea americana
Detailed Listing For
Basket-flower, American Star-thistle, Basket Flower, American Starthistle, American Basketflower, Sweet Sultan, Shaving Brush
Average Viable Seeds/Packet:
Germination Test Type:
Minimum Hardiness Zone:
In Stock: 1.8 lb
Items are priced on a curve, you can buy any 'bulk quantity' up to what we have in stock, some examples are:
Growing Info, follow in order:
sow seed 1/16" deep, tamp the soil, lightly mulch the seed bed.
In a Nutshell:
* Centaurea americana , commonly called American Starthistle or American Basketflower , is an annual native to the southern central United States and northeastern Mexico.
* The plant looks similar to the thistles but lacks their prickly characteristics .
* The name basket flower refers to the stiff, straw-colored bracts just beneath the flower head, which are divided at the tip into long, sharp teeth.
* The plant is often cultivated for its showy flowers, and can sometimes be found outside its native range as an escape from cultivation.
* Blooms are 4" in diameter and are held from May until June. The plant can reach 5-6' tall and has rough 4" long lance-shaped leaves. more...