Mockernut Hickory, Mockernut, White Hickory, Whiteheart Hickory, Hognut, Bullnut Carya tomentosa - Carya alba
Detailed Listing For
Mockernut Hickory, Mockernut, White Hickory, Whiteheart Hickory, Hognut, Bullnut
Minimum Hardiness Zone:
New crop expected late fall.
Seed is Out of Stock: Fill in the quantity you Need:
Choose the "Check Out "Button and enter your contact information:
Sheffield's will email when it arrives: no payment at this time. Thank you
Please select the quantity desired, and we will advise availability and price as soon as possible.
Growing Info, follow in order:
Soak in water, let stand in water for 24 hours, repeat process daily for 4 days.
cold stratify for 150 days.
sow 1-2" deep, tamp the soil, mulch the seed bed.
can be fall sown without stratification.
In a Nutshell:
* Carya tomentosa , ( Mockernut hickory , mockernut , white hickory , whiteheart hickory , hognut , bullnut ) is a tree in the Juglandaceae or Walnut family.
* It is the most abundant of the hickories.
* It is long lived, sometimes reaching the age of 500 years.
* A high percentage of the wood is used for products where strength, hardness, and flexibility are needed. It makes an excellent fuelwood, too. more...
* Native region from Massachusetts south to Florida and Texas; nearly round nuts; scaly dark gray bark; of open habit; hard shelled, edible nuts.