Lipstick Tree, Annatto, Achiote, Lipsticktree Bixa orellana
Detailed Listing For
Lipstick Tree, Annatto, Achiote, Lipsticktree
Average Viable Seeds/Packet:
Germination Test Type:
Minimum Hardiness Zone:
In Stock: 0.69 lb
Items are priced on a curve, you can buy any 'bulk quantity' up to what we have in stock, some examples are:
Growing Info, follow in order:
Soak in water, let stand in water for 24 hours.
Sow seed 1/4" deep, tamp the soil, mulch the seed bed.
In a Nutshell:
* Achiote ( Bixa orellana ) is a shrub or small tree from the tropical region of the Americas .
* It is best known as the source of the natural pigment annatto , produced from the fruit .
* The plant bears pink flowers and bright red spiny fruits which contain red seeds. The fruits dry and harden to brown capsules. more...
* Annatto, obtained from the oily arils of the seeds is the world’s second most important (after caramel) natural colorant (Mercadante and Pfander 1998), yielding yellow to red colors.
* Not only was the dye used anciently to color food, but also to dye cloth and paint the skin (which is still done today).
* The species is also planted as an ornamental, particularly the varieties with bright pink pods.
* Bees collect nectar from its flowers to make honey. more...