Five-leaf Akebia, Chocolate Vine Akebia quinata
Detailed Listing For
Five-leaf Akebia, Chocolate Vine
Average Viable Seeds/Packet:
Germination Test Type:
Minimum Hardiness Zone:
New crop seed has arrived!
In Stock: 0.29 lb
Items are priced on a curve, you can buy any 'bulk quantity' up to what we have in stock, some examples are:
Growing Info, follow in order:
Soak in water, let stand in water for 24 hours.
cold stratify for 30 days.
sow seed 1/16" deep, tamp the soil, lightly mulch the seed bed.
In a Nutshell:
* Akebia quinata ( Chocolate Vine or Five-leaf Akebia ) is a shrub that is native to Japan , China and Korea . more...
* A vine with curious fragrant purplish flowers, sometimes followed by equally curious 2-4" sausage-shaped violet fruits; handsome compound leaves with five leaflets; useful screening plant, grows very quickly. more...
* The fruit has a delicate flavour and a soft, juicy texture.
* The plant was ranked 13th in a survey of 250 potential antifertility plants in China.
* The peeled stems are very pliable and can be used in basket making.
* The flowers have a spicy fragrance, reminiscent of vanilla. more...
Please be careful where you plant this. Once it is established it can be very hard to remove and does spread.