Five-leaf Akebia, Chocolate Vine Akebia quinata
Detailed Listing For
Five-leaf Akebia, Chocolate Vine
Minimum Hardiness Zone:
New Seed expected by the end of January 2020
Seed is Out of Stock: Fill in the quantity you Need:
Choose the "Check Out "Button and enter your contact information:
Sheffield's will email when it arrives: no payment at this time. Thank you
Please select the quantity desired, and we will advise availability and price as soon as possible.
Soak in water, let stand in water for 24 hours.
cold stratify for 30 days.
sow seed 1/16" deep, tamp the soil, lightly mulch the seed bed.
In a Nutshell:
* Akebia quinata ( Chocolate Vine or Five-leaf Akebia ) is a shrub that is native to Japan , China and Korea . more...
* A vine with curious fragrant purplish flowers, sometimes followed by equally curious 2-4" sausage-shaped violet fruits; handsome compound leaves with five leaflets; useful screening plant, grows very quickly. more...
* The fruit has a delicate flavour and a soft, juicy texture.
* The plant was ranked 13th in a survey of 250 potential antifertility plants in China.
* The peeled stems are very pliable and can be used in basket making.
* The flowers have a spicy fragrance, reminiscent of vanilla. more...
Please be careful where you plant this. Once it is established it can be very hard to remove and does spread.