Bear's Breech, Bear's Breeches Acanthus hungaricus - Acanthus balcanicus
Detailed Listing For
Bear's Breech, Bear's Breeches
Average Viable Seeds/Packet:
Germination Test Type:
Minimum Hardiness Zone:
In Stock: 0.2 lb
Items are priced on a curve, you can buy any 'bulk quantity' up to what we have in stock, some examples are:
Growing Info, follow in order:
Soak in water, let stand in water for 24 hours.
warm stratify for 30 days, cold stratify for 30 days.
Sow seed 1/4" deep, tamp the soil, mulch the seed bed.
In a Nutshell:
* Acanthus balcanicus, is an endemic herbaceous perennial plant in the genus Acanthus, native to the Balkan peninsula, up to Dalmatia. This plant is also cultivated in many European and American gardens.
* It flowers in mid summer from July to August. Flowers are on a very long flowering stem and consist of a lower lip and upper tooth-like lip. more...
* An erect, clump-forming perennial which features pale pink to white flowers enclosed in spiny, reddish-purple bracts and arranged in vertical rows on substantial flower spikes rising well above the foliage to 3-4' tall.
* Deeply lobed glossy green leaves (2-3' long) form an ornamental mound which usually remains attractive throughout the growing season.
* Easily grown from seed. more...