Royal Poinciana, Flame Tree Delonix regia
Detailed Listing For
Royal Poinciana, Flame Tree
Germination Test Type:
Minimum Hardiness Zone:
In Stock: 0.65 lb
Sample Bulk Pricing
Soak in hot tap water, let stand in water for 24 hours.
pick out seeds that imbibe, re-treat others, sow imbibed seeds 1/4" deep,, tamp the soil, mulch the seed bed.
boiling water can be used if hot water does not scarify the seed.
In a Nutshell:
* The tree's vivid red/vermilion/orange/yellow flowers and bright green foliage make it an exceptionally striking sight. more...
* The Royal Poinciana is endemic to Madagascar , where it is found in the Madagascar dry deciduous forests . In the wild it is endangered , but it is widely cultivated elsewhere. In addition to its ornamental value, it is also a useful shade tree in tropical conditions, because it usually grows to a modest height but spreads widely, and its dense foliage provides full shade. more...
* In areas with a marked dry season, it sheds its leaves during the drought, but in other areas it is virtually evergreen. more...
* It is much loved in the Caribbean ; for example, many Puerto Rican paintings feature Flamboyant Trees, it can also be found in The Bahamas as well. The Poinciana is also the national flower of St. Kitts and Nevis. more...
* Scarlet and yellow flowers followed by 2' pods; grows rapidly; dense-growing, fernlike, doubly compound leaves to 2'; native to Madagascar, much grown in southern Florida and Hawaii. more...