Hinds Black Walnut, Northern California Walnut, Claro Walnut Juglans hindsii - Juglans californica hindsii
Detailed Listing For
Hinds Black Walnut, Northern California Walnut, Claro Walnut
Germination Test Type:
Minimum Hardiness Zone:
In Stock: 10.36 lb
Sample Bulk Pricing
Soak in water, let stand in water for 24 hours.
cold stratify for 120 days.
sow 1-2" deep, tamp the soil, mulch the seed bed.
In a Nutshell:
* This species is often used in south-western N. America as a vigorous disease-resistant and drought tolerant rootstock for J. regia. more...
* Juglans hindsii , the Hinds' Black Walnut , also called the Northern California Walnut , is a large tree (up to 60 feet tall) endemic to roughly circular area in California centered near Fresno and reaching the San Francisco Bay area. more...
* Juglans hindsi has only one confirmed native stand remaining. It is listed as Seriously Endangered on the California Native Plant Society Rare Plant Inventory. more...
* The Northern California walnut is cultivated by specialty California native plant nurseries. It is used as an ornamental tree in traditional and wildlife gardens, and for habitat gardens, natural landscaping projects, and climate compatible drought tolerant gardens. more...
* The wood of Juglans hindsi is commonly called Claro walnut by the lumber industry and woodworkers. It is highly figured with a rich brown color and striking grain patterns, especially in the crotch areas, where large limbs meet the trunk. more...